One Salinas Youth Arts Festival is devoted to the celebration of youth celebrating art and creativity. This year’s event is scheduled from March 25th through April 15th and is open to young people from 12 to 24.
- March 25th-April 15th Visual Arts Exhibit Hartnell College Gallery, Steinbeck Center - Visual Arts
- March 30th Street Festival in Oldtown Salinas - Performing Arts
- March 15th Performing Art applications deadline
- March 22nd Visual Art application deadline
One Salinas Arts Fest welcomes all forms of visual and performing art:
- Spoken word
- 2D and 3D visual art (all mediums & sizes: painting, sculpture, mixed)
One Salinas Arts Festival invites all artists between the ages of 12 and 24 who would like to feature their work during this event to submit an application. Please fill out one application for each visual and performing art submission. See information below.
One Salinas Arts Festival is a multicultural and multi-disciplinary event. We are dedicated to encouraging unity and peace in our community and therefore may not accept art that is attacking, derogatory or hateful to any person, group, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, culture, origin, or any work promoting such behavior in others.
CREATE A WORK OF PUBLIC ART ON A FUNCTIONAL NEWWSTAND!
1. Artwork must be created on a metal newsstand provided by the Californian Newspaper. The artwork should be painted, collage, or mosaic with a theme of peace and unity.
2. Entries must be original, hand-produced artwork focused on the peace & unity theme. Please do not use copyrighted material. Entries with inappropriate language or subject matter will not be accepted.
3. Renderings of symbols, places or objects may be based upon existing published imagery, but they must be creatively modified in the artist’s own style.
4. Any media may be used, provided the finished piece is weather-proof & functional. Mixed media, paint, spray paint, glitter, collage, sand, mosaic and other materials that create texture may be used.
5. All artwork must be dry before submission in order to be included.
6. A completed entry form, signed by the artist (and a parent, teacher, or guardian, if under 18 years of age) must be attached to the interior of the artwork.
7. Awards will be given in four major divisions: Grades 6-8; Grades 9-12; College; and Over 25. With special honors to most creative use of material; best message of peace; and
8. Employees of the Californian and their immediate family members (i.e. spouses, parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren, and siblings) are not eligible to enter.
9. All reproduction rights to all of the submitted artwork will remain with the artists. However, all prize-winners shall agree that the Californian and El Sol be granted non-exclusive reproduction rights for advertising, promotion, website, and print publication purposes.
10. All entries will become the property of the Californian as functional public art and be displayed or exhibited in public locations around the City of Salinas beginning in April 2010.
APPLICATION FORM: Public Art Contest Form
ALL 2D &3D ARTFORMS AS WELL AS DIGITAL AND NEW MEDIA ARE WELCOME!
1. Artwork must be original. Paper artwork should be mounted on cardboard, posterboard, or foamboard and/or framed
2. Entries must be original, hand-produced artwork. Please do not use copyrighted material. Entries with inappropriate language or subject matter will not be accepted.
3. Renderings may be based upon existing published imagery, but they must be creatively modified in the artist’s own style.
4. Any media may be used, and suitable for hanging or pedestal display. Mixed media, crayons, markers, pen and ink, colored pencils, paint, pastels, glue, glitter, collage, sand, yarn and other materials that create texture may be used.
5. All entries must be dry before submission in order to be included.
6. A completed entry form, signed by the artist (and a parent, teacher, or guardian if under 18) must be attached to the back of the artwork.
7. All reproduction rights to all of the submitted artwork will remain with the artists. However, all entrants shall agree that the One Salinas Arts Festival be granted non-exclusive reproduction rights for advertising, promotion, website, and print publication purposes.
8. All entries must be picked up at the Hartnell College Gallery between April 15 and April 18, 2013.
VISUAL & PERFORMING ARTS APPLICATION: Art Festival Form
SHARE YOUR TALENTS WITH SALINAS!
All types of performances are welcome and encouraged. Literature, Theater, Poetry
Dance, Music, Improve, Comedy, or Other.
Let's evaporate those negative stereotypes of youth in Salinas. We are civic-minded and community oriented young men and women who care about making a difference in Salinas. Join us!
The One Salinas Youth Arts Festival must be aware of space and tecnichal requirements well in advance of the performance in order to match the artist(s) with an appropriate venue.